Monday, March 2, 2009

Review of the Weekend

I have been thinking about what people’s reaction would be like if they came here and saw me, so I thought I would write this blog about how I’ve become accustomed to living here and certain things don’t phase me anymore.
So last weekend I had to travel because I needed to buy shirts for my girls group and I had to make copies of my Sequence 4 exam so that my students could actually have a decent test- taking experience. Traveling during the dry season is actually pretty terrible. I still can’t decide which is worse. If you travel during the rainy season you end up getting all wet because of the leaky cars and it often takes an hour or two longer to get anywhere because you have to keep getting off the car and walking while they try and push it through ditches filled with water. Then there’s the dry season where everything is covered with a thick redish brown dust that goes everywhere. Everyone is wearing Hospital type mouth coverings and some are wearing protective goggles like wood cutters use. Everyone also has long pants and jackets on in order to protect their clothes from the dust. I like to sit by the window (if there is actually plastic and the car has windows) because it can become so stifiling hot in there that I need the breeze even if it does kick up tons of dust. So after about two minutes I’m covered with dust and can see all of the little hairs on my arms perfectly because of how the dirt covers them. Sometimes you are lucky enough to sweat tons and then the dust becomes mud right on you. Everyone is in a foul mood because of the heat and when you finally get to your destination all you can think about is a shower. The dust is more prominent on us white people because we change such fabulous colors. The other crappy thing about traveling during the dry season is that my allergies become crazy and after I get home I feel horrible like I have a cold and I can’t breath because all of the dust I’ve inhaled. But the things is, I’ve only really thought about complaining about this now, because it’s the way thigns are here.
The best part about traveling is what I must look like when I’m on the bus. Friday I wore a red shirt that I bought at Target in the states. That was when my mom and I thought I had to buy huge clothes so the villagers wouldn’t make fun of me for being ‘sexy’. Well this shirt is at least two sizes too big and because of all the hand washing, actually goes down to about mid thigh just above the knee. I couple this with a peasant skirt my mom sent me that is a good design for Africa but has the colors of vomit, I love you mom but that skirt is real ugly, though it works well with the dirt. I think people believe there is a certain way you should look like a peace corps volunteer and sometimes I look exactly like that- like I don’t give a crap and I’m living in Africa. I then have my hair tucked into a grey conductor’s type hat and I’m wearing hideous 2 dollar fake ray band sunglasses that I bought here. Anyway, imagine that this is what people here think that Americans look like on a normal basis. Either way I looked at myself in the mirror when I arrived and I started laughing so hard it hurt, wow I guess you can get used to everything.
This weekend was good though, even if I did travel for two days and have one day at my destination. We made quiche and peaut butter cookies and it was awesome. I also bought good cheese and made an awesome cheese and bean sandwich. We also made a fire and roasted S’mores with peeps someone got for Christmas. It was really great sitting around the fire and just talking and having a good time. But my most favorite memory from this weekend was when all us girls, with a beer under our belts. Thought it would be awesome to have a Sound of Music Sing a long. We turned on my dvd and did the sing-a-long version and I swear my heart got all warm and gooey I was so happy!
Anyway, now I’m home and gearing up for the 8 Mars, which is Woman’s day. On Saturday is the Soiree Cultural where my girl’s group will do a dance and also show a game that talks about AIDS. We will be marching and wearing our women’s day pagne which I just commissioned my tailor to make me a new skirt and shirt. I also bought shirts for my girls club for Sunday but it turns out that the shop burned down the day after I put down money for them to print them for me. What kind of luck do I have. Either way I feel pretty silly and I hope thye’ll be able to get them to me before the weekend but who knows!
Anyway, I hope you are all well and I think of you all the time! How did it get to be March so quickly? Love you all!
elyse

No comments: