Friday, January 9, 2009

Back in Buisness

obIt's almost been a week weiht out power here in the Lele. It came on tonight (obviously I jumped for joy and ran home). This means my ipod has no charge, my computer won't start up and my phone has one bar. My neighbors have finally arrived after not being here for 6 months. They are Eveline a largery jolly woman who I imagine as Aunt Jamima adn her 6 year old daughter Doris adn now 4 month old baby. Let me tell you, things have changed. What was once a quiet hamlet of solitude adn contemplation is now the parade groudn for visitors and out doors loud talkicity. In real African style this lady (and family are crazy loud adn live so close to me they ought to be in my living room. It's acutally quite ridiculous not acknowldeging each other when I'm in my living room adn she's int eh courtyard sitting under my window. I feel sorta naked. but it also feels a lot less lonely. When you live alone and sei-secluded you miss the everyday noises of other people. Just the chit chat or banging of pans and I have that now, adn all that good and bad it comes with. The other funny thing is my neighbors daughter has a doll that plays the tune of "its a small world" and she can not get enough of it. At first it mad eme a mixture of sad/nostalgic and now it just gets into my head and I sing it all day.

So what does one do with their time in the dark without power? 1 make eleborate dinners- I made pita bread, fajitas, rice and taco sauce for dinner the other day. 2- Read a lot. Thank you to Jaime for sending "the Brief and Wonderful Life of Oscar Wao" very interesting read. And a big thanks to Chiggie as every for keeping me reading interesting and fun stuff. These books actually kept me awake past 8am which is the normal bedtime for a person with out electricity (jsut in case you didn't know). 3- Painting my nails and giving myself facials- thanks for the face mask Jaime. and 4- My neighbors showed up monday and wanted to do my hair African Style. I got it "rastaed" their word not mine, which means fat corn rows! You would be so jealous! I actually took it out after about 3 days because it was really itchy and they didnt realize I"m not blonde so I looked liek a cross between a crack hoe and an african albino beauty queen.

But those are just my days from about 5-9. I am actually back to some serious volunteer work. I started a girls club that I'm organizing with the help of students> I got a student to tutor me once a week, but I fear I'll have to teach her how to teach before she's actually effective. I am starting an English club where I hope to use my theatre skills and I met with Mr. Fonkau who is the other English teacher to evaluate my work so far. Turns out I'm actually not a very good English teacher, and I'm the first to admit it. My year plan is sorta all over the place (might be the lack of love for English) and I don't emphasis the communicative aspect of the language and focus on the grammar and the vocabulary. I am starting a new planning program and I will be a much tougher teacher now. I fear that the problem with all new teachers is the hope that all their students will pass, and that is just not accepted in Cameroon. Everyone is upset that 80 percent of my students are passing (I'm too easy and offer too much extra credit). Anyway, I'm getting a lot better at French and really settling in here Which it's about time. It has however turned ridiculously hot! So its a little bit difficult to stay my cheery self when I'm sweating all over the place, but it does mean its easier to run because there aren't huge mud puddles everywhere!

Anyway, I miss you all and I'm super excited to have current again and be able to communicate with you.

Love you All!

Elyse

No comments: